Download Episode Here – right click link and select “Save Link As…”
In this episode Joel and Antonia talk about how different people show up to the world using either a competitive frame or a collaborative frame. They also dive into a little bit of MBTI type theory around the polarities.
In this podcast you’ll find:
- The difference between a competitive frame and a collaborative frame.
- Frame = perspective/reality that you use when coming to an interaction.
- If you originate from a competitive frame, you may have a tendency to base your social interactions upon competition.
- If you come from a collaborative frame, you may have a tendency to base your social interactions upon collaboration.
- Competitive frames can frustrate communication.
- One of the basic principles of improv is that whatever the person on stage with you says, you respond, “Yes, and… “
- Competition and collaboration can both be useful in the proper context.
- We have been taught to play a zero sum game (Win/Lose) when there isn’t necessarily a need for winners and users.
- Sometimes we create zero-sum games with our communication styles. We endlessly apologize for ourselves or blame others for perceived slights.
- Our judging functions are the ones we use to make decisions – Thinking/Feeling
- Car Model
- Extraverted Thinking (Te)/Introverted Feeling (Fi) are more concerned with competition as a general rule.
- Introverted Thinking (Ti)/Extraverted Feeling (Fe) are more interested in collaboration as a general rule.
- Fi is about creating distinctions and differentiating yourself from others.
- Te is about getting things done and resource management. If you come from a place of scarcity, you will automatically be competitive if you feel your survival is at stake.
- Fe is about consensus. Even those who are overly concerned with social status are showing an unhealthy use of Fe.
- Ti wants consensus with info. They don’t hoard their info. They usually get accused of over-sharing.
- Are you blocking energy by holding back because of competition? Are you stingy with your energy?
- Fe may appear non-collaborative due to their need to conserve energy.
- Getting competitive is how we get things accomplished.
- Some people are the most collaborative once they have taken care of the competitive part and are in the position they want to be.
- We can choose to be competitive in a collaborative way.
- Often, we create a team, consensus, or meme and we become competitive about supporting it.
- Both collaboration and competition are necessary. If you can’t do both, you have limited your options.
- Watch for what you are capable of doing and what you gravitate toward. Then try to be the other.
- We can be competitive for humanity.
To subscribe to the podcast, please use the links below:
If you like the podcast and want to help us out in return, please leave an honest rating and review on iTunes by clicking here. It will help the show and its ranking in iTunes immensely! We would be eternally grateful!
Want to learn more?
Discover Your Personal Genius
We want to hear from you. Leave your comments below…