Download Episode Here – right click link and select “Save Link As…”
In this episode, Joel and Antonia talk about the perceiving functions and how we are compelled to use them when they are part of our personality.
In this podcast you’ll find:
- Perceiving functions – Learning styles
- We have a compulsion to use these functions no matter where they lie in our cognitive function stack.
- The more we use a function, the more proficient we get at it, unless it is a back seat function.
- Discretion is knowing when and how much to apportion something.
- Our discretion grows as we master one of our functions.
- Perceiving functions are the Intuitive and Sensing functions in our cognitive function stack.
- Perceiving functions are the way we view the world.
- What captures your attention?
- How are you attempting to take in info?
- There is neutrality to the Perceiving functions that makes it difficult to wrap our heads around.
- There are two sets of perceiving polarities:
- Extraverted Intuition is the polar opposite of Introverted Sensing (all NPs and SJs)
- Introverted Intuition is the polar opposite of Extraverted Sensing (all NJs and SPs)
- Extraverted Sensing or “Sensation” Desires to merge itself with the experience.
- SPs feel compelled to merge with their environment, so they are proficient with kinesthetic movement.
- SPs often show a lack of fear physically and are often adrenaline junkies.
- Fear for SPs pops up when Introverted Intuition starts popping up
- “What is the future consequences of this action?”
- When we see Sensation as a three-year-old function, as used by INJs, it shows up as an awareness that they can’t neglect themselves physically anymore.
- They can’t see their body as a vehicle for their brain anymore.
- They want to be present in the environment instead of being divorced from life.
- Be in the moment.
- Some INJs can be adrenaline junkies.
- Others are highly sensitive and start pursuing nutrition or yoga.
- Sometimes Sensation in the back seat can show up as an abuse of substances (food, alcohol, etc.)
- Or they don’t have a sense of where they’re at physically.
- But INJs have a compulsion to be in their bodies and often feel inclined to overindulge in food or mind-altering substances to get out of their heads and into their bodies.
- For an INJ to obey the compulsion to be in their body, they have to amp up the substance to shut off the mind.
- Fearing physical safety is fairly consistent for NJs, but if an SP has physical fears, it means they are spending too much time in the back seat of their cognitive function stack.
- NJs love things that give them goosebumps, like ASMR.
- Extraverted Sensing compulsion is making love with the world all the time.
- Introverted Intuition’s compulsion is to separate from the world, even itself, and live in a realm of imagination.
- By definition, Ni is not merged with reality, so anything can be imagined.
- Fantasy and sci-fi
- What are the predictable patterns inside all humans?
- SPs will be into a bunch of stuff that looks like intuitive stuff, which makes them look intuitive.
- Like astrology, numerology, Tarot, Lord of the Rings, and Game of Thrones.
- Discretion improves the more mastery someone has over the function.
- So, an INJ will use a tool like Tarot with a bit of discretion, whereas someone who has Perspectives in the back seat may put way more faith in Tarot, astrology, and numerology because they haven’t built up the discretion.
- Introverted Sensing “Memory” is used in the back seat by NPs and the front seat by SJs.
- In the back seat, it shows up as a fascination with infrastructure, record keeping, and history.
- For Antonia and Joel, it shows up as a weekly podcast to record their ideas and voices for posterity.
- What has worked in the past? What is the precedent?
- Extraverted Intuition can innovate when it knows what came before.
- The higher up Memory gets in the stack, the more a person is going to be able to have their finger on timelines and evolution.
- In SJs there is a phenomenon to review what they have experienced, which brings them the Intuitive Ahas.
- There is a stuckness that comes with Introverted Sensing.
- What didn’t change with time, and how can we preserve that for the present?
- If something creates positive experiences for people, it should be replicated.
- People with Si in the back seat prefer some things to stay the same way.
- Ne wants to innovate to have a better experience.
- Not innovation for innovation’s sake.
- Ne has a compulsion towards novelty.
- In the backseat, Ne can become about collecting things that are new or novel.
- SJs make themselves feel better by buying something.
- In the past, SJs yearning for something new would be stamped down by culture – get a good job and stay with your family.
- In the Pixar movie Up, the man is probably an ISTJ and his wife, an ENFP.
- ISJs have a compulsion to have an adventure and do something bigger.
- When Ne in the back seat can’t get a healthy expression, it looks like catastrophizing.
- Not like paranoia, which Ni in the backseat looks like.
- Its more like pattern recognizing the worst-case scenario.
- Ne in the front seat is about seeing the best-case scenario.
- Both intuitive functions in the back seat can be into conspiracy theories.
- Ni tries to create meaning from the things it is seeing.
- Ne can create some stellar stories to explain what is happening by putting 2 and 2 together.
- Thinkers with Intuition in the copilot or tertiary seat are usually into conspiracy theories
To subscribe to the podcast, please use the links below:
If you like the podcast and want to help us out in return, please leave an honest rating and review on iTunes by clicking here. It will help the show and its ranking in iTunes immensely! We would be eternally grateful!
Want to learn more?
Discover Your Personal Genius
We want to hear from you. Leave your comments below…