Download Episode Here – right click link and select “Save Link As…”
In this episode, Joel and Antonia talk with Nii Codjoe (COO at Personality Hacker) about how to figure out what to do with your life and his experience in navigating his own career as a millennial.
In this podcast you’ll find:
- Nii Codjoe – ENTJ
- Adaptability is one of the essential skills needed in the world today.
- People who are graduating from school today struggle with adapting to the changes in the world.
- Emotional & psychological adaptability.
- Create an educational program to survive in the world today.
- Invite successful people to coffee and ask them questions about how they became successful.
- At the end of the “coffee chat”, Nii would ask, “Is there anyone else you would recommend I talk to?”
- This is how he built a tribe of people who were more successful than him.
- Learn how to learn.
- There is a process to learning things and turning knowledge into wisdom.
- Understanding persuasion, sales and marketing, and communication are potent tools to have.
- These people aren’t larger than life. They are human.
- What is the formula for turning knowledge into wisdom?
- The first level is awareness and exposure – there are things out there you aren’t aware of. Keep seeking.
- Accelerate learning by getting into action and implementing new ideas immediately.
- Get your hands dirty.
- Gain data from multiple mistakes.
- Fail as much as you can to learn the fastest.
- Books can’t teach you everything.
- Read a book then take the knowledge and immediately test it in the outer world.
- Refine the knowledge.
- Go back and reread the book and see how your understanding has changed.
- Passion project = 1-3 month projects
- Approach someone who has some knowledge you can use to improve your data.
- Patterns start to emerge.
- Begin to see the same principles emerge over a wide array of concepts.
- Career paths are often an emergent we discover over time.
- Adaptability is important.
- The wrong question: “What should I do with my life?”
- Some jobs we may excel at don’t even exist yet.
- Instead of focusing on passion focus on developing skills.
- “So Good They Can’t Ignore You” Cal Newport?
- Focus on developing rare and valuable skills.
- Career capital.
- We tend to be passionate about the things we are good at.
- The most effective way of landing a job is through these coffee chats.
- Write down a list of people you know who are in a situation about which you are curious.
- Start with your parents or family friends, former professors, classmates who are in the field you are interested in.
- “I’m just exploring my options…”
- “I’ve noticed you have a really successful career in…. I would love to buy you a quick cup of coffee to pick your brain and find out how you got into your career.”
- Create an email template and mail it to a few people on your list.
- Write down questions you would like to know:
- How did you figure out what you wanted to do with your life?
- How much education did you get?
- Always buy them coffee at a location convenient to them.
- Build a relationship.
- Ask them how they got where they are.
- Take notes.
- “Who are two other people you would recommend I talk to learn more about this subject?”
- People are more open to passing on a legacy than you think.
- Don’t underestimate the power of relationships.
- You are the average of the five people you hang around.
- Write down the five people closest to you.
- You are the average of those five people.
To subscribe to the podcast, please use the links below:
If you like the podcast and want to help us out in return, please leave an honest rating and review on iTunes by clicking here. It will help the show and its ranking in iTunes immensely! We would be eternally grateful!
Want to learn more?
Discover Your Personal Genius
We want to hear from you. Leave your comments below…