Download Episode Here – right click link and select “Save Link As…”
In this episode, Joel and Antonia talk about systems thinking. They reject the notion of cause and effect and instead posit the idea that everything is an emergent property of a system.
In this podcast on Systems Thinking and the Illusion of Cause-and-Effect you’ll find:
- There is no such thing as Cause and Effect but only “Emergent Properties of Systems”
- Systems Thinking is a way of thinking or interacting with reality that is different from basic Cause and Effect.
- When we try to create influenced results, we end up having limited influence over it because we are not seeing the other Influencers or Nodes in the system.
- To have a desired result, recognize that nodes have to work in a certain way to have an “emergent” (thing that emerges from all things working together).
- We turn to Cause and Effect thinking because things are too complex to understand and because it is easier to fuse Sequential events.
- A System is a cluster of themes working together influencing each other; doing things synchronously and asynchronously and brings about an inevitable emergent.
- Two things to keep in mind about systems:
- Initial Condition (starting condition of a system)
- How the nodes in the system interact with each other
- Systems thinking is more accurate than Cause and Effect thinking. It improves relationships and gives more favorable results.
- Raymond Kurzweil’s Theory of Singularity states that Technology doubles in an exponential growth curve. Singularity is the time period where technology is doubling too fast to observe.
- The value of node connections is going up while the cost of information is lowering down.
- Intuition is needed now more than ever to figure which systems to work on, how systems are working and how to manage information.
- Gregory Bateson (Author, Steps to an Ecology of Mind) states “Systems are delicate. We don’t see them so we break them”.
Things we reference in this podcast:
To subscribe to the podcast, please use the links below:
If you like the podcast and want to help us out in return, please leave an honest rating and review on iTunes by clicking here. It will help the show and its ranking in iTunes immensely! We would be eternally grateful!
Want to learn more?
Discover Your Personal Genius
We want to hear from you. Leave your comments below…